By Elizabeth Musgrave, GottaGo.us
January 23, 2012
The annual compilation of the Gotta Go Top 10 Best Performing Arts performances in Indianapolis is always difficult to select due to the quantity of great talent and shows in the Indy metro area. As the 12th largest city in the nation, the Circle City offers something for just about everyone.
With so many shows, and only one of me, let me say as always that this is not an all-inclusive list and represents only the performances personally attended and reviewed by this critic.
Some of the reviews were in print, some online, and some were on WIBC.
Whether you agree, disagree, or have comments or questions, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts.
1. Opening Night Gala: Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra with Maestro Krzysztof Urbanski-Urbanski brings in a whole new era for Indy. The energy that evening was palpable.
2. Puccini People: Dance Kaleidoscope-Quite simply, this is the best, in my opinion, of David Hochoy’s work in the five years I have been a performing arts critic in Indianapolis. I reviewed it on WIBC to give listeners the time to catch it.**
3. Stephanie J. Block: The Cabaret at The Columbia Club-Fun, flirty and feisty.
4. Idina Menzel: ISO-Delightful, charming and utterly impish.
5. 39 Steps: IRT-Proving it doesn’t have to be dramatic to be worth noting.
6. Singin’ in the Rain: Beef and Boards-Wet with a movie-set ambiance. The acting, the set, the dancing…all fabulous.
7. Evening with the Stars: Indianapolis City Ballet-This is consistently in the Top Ten List for an excellent reason. I reviewed it on WIBC to give listeners the time to catch it.*
8. Dracula: IRT-The not-so-light version by Stephen Dietz packed the house.
9. Tierney Sutton:The Cabaret at The Columbia Club-Ethereal and earthy at same time.
10. Madama Butterfly: Indianapolis Opera-A classic story told well.
*2011 Lesson learned: Write and post all reviews — even on those performances I cover on air in order to have something to share with you at the end of the year.
Bottom Line: I have enjoyed 2011 and look forward to Indy’s offerings for 2012. So many more could have, should have been mentioned. Each year it becomes more and more difficult to choose the best of the performances and that is a great problem to have.
Click here to read the full article.
"Best in class. A truly delightful experience - over the top!"Cabaret Guest