Posted by admin on May 22, 2013
American Idol alum and and gifted recording artist Melinda Doolittle gave a Master Class on July 28th, 2012. The New York Timeshas hailed her voice as one of the most “phenomenally gifted” in years. She has shared the stage with Peter Cetera, Cyndi Lauper, and the renowned Boston Pops Orchestra. Here are some of the great tips that she shared with the performers:
1. Sometimes you need to let go physically – it can lead to letting go vocally.
2. Don’t be afraid to get lost in the lyrics of a song.
3. Sing with your eyes open!
4. If you are not the greatest scatter – just start some patter. It can end up making the audience feel even more involved.
5. You don’t always have to sing what is written.
6. Make sure your singing is coming from a place of truth.
7. Stay in character through your entire song.
8. Sometimes stillness can be more powerful than movement.
9. Practice (and occasionally prayer) is the key to being the best performer you can be.
10. To combat nervousness, choose a character to be and envelop yourself in that character instead of focusing on yourself.
11. If you want to be a performer, make sure you study the business side of performing.
"Best in class. A truly delightful experience - over the top!"Cabaret Guest
Monday - Friday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
2:00pm-4:00pm, only on days with a performance
The Cabaret Administrative Offices
615 N Alabama Street, Suite 134
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Indiana Landmarks Center
1201 Central Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46202